End of the World or Inverness
What some locals might consider to be the end of the world, tourist know it as Inverness located in Scotland. This not so small city is the largest city and cultural capital of the Scottish Highlands. Tourist are attracted to come here because of its quaint towns, medieval ruins, and prehistoric sites.
What is there to do?
- When traveling to Inverness, it is possible to go shopping in a preserved Victorian Market from the 19th century where you can see a historic Victorian clock which hasn’t stopped ticking since 1890.
- If you are interested in historical sites, a must go to is the Culloden Moor. It is where the battle of Culloden took place on April 16th, 1746. There is also a gallery showing Jacobite artifacts found in the Culloden Moor.
- Discover the best distilleries in Scotland in Inverness by following the Highland Whiskey Trail. These distilleries date back to the 15th century and distilleries offer guided tours and whiskey taskings all year round.
- If you are wanting to live through your childhood stories you heard about, you can travel to Loch Ness to take a boat trip on the river or nice walk around. It is a freshwater loch rumored to be home to the mythical creature, Nessie. To get a nice view of the loch, go to Urquhart Castle and climb the Grant Tower. This castle is not only beautiful, but historic. It was built sometime between the 13th– 16th century. There is also a dungeon, and trebuchet siege engine which gives a glimpse into Scotland’s medieval times.
- To get a glimpse into the culture of Inverness, travel in July to visit the Inverness Highland games. It is a festival where athletes from all over compete in a variety of sports, locals dress in traditional outfits, and skilled bagpipers perform. This event was founded in 1822 and takes place near the river.
- If watching sports is not your thing, and you are looking for traditional food then eat haggis. Haggis is Scotland’s national dish. Haggis is made with minced lamb, suet, oats, and various spices. The presentation is not the most appealing but has an exceptional taste.
So if Inverness has so much to offer, why do people consider it the end of the world?
To some this might be an exaggeration after visiting and seeing what it has to offer, but to others this might be an understatement. If you are traveling and don’t have much time and not traveling through the city to get somewhere else or have some reason for visiting inverness, going here might be a little bit of a waste as it is off the beaten track, but offers beautiful views with history. For others, going here is the relaxing destination that is much needed.